In today’s society it is becoming increasingly paramount to be confident to succeed. In your career, in your relationship, in your social circle, at university. Every little thing requires confidence.
But sadly, there are so many women out there that are lacking the one thing that should be ingrained in us. With the overwhelming portrayal of stick-thin women in the media painting a picture of the ‘perfect women’ it is devastating how many women have lost their confidence in themselves, their intelligence and their body image due to not looking like photo shopped babe in the latest Cleo centre fold.
Well let me tell you, building confidence with such a stereotypical viewpoint of perfection is not easy. Especially if you have also had your self-esteem shattered during your teenage years struggling with acne, your sexuality and being bullied, like myself.
Despite being born as an introverted extrovert (yes its a thing) and somebody with very low self-confidence and self-esteem, I have been on a very enlightening and eye-opening journey on the quest to find the self-assured woman that lies deep within.
And I am going to share with you a few tips that have made me into the confident, courageous woman I am today.
- Fake It Until You Make It- Lets be honest, we have all been put in situations that are slightly out of our comfort zone or where we have no idea what to do. So next time this happens, wack on a smile, ask questions and act like you would imagine somebody with experience and expertise acting in that position, even if you don’t know what the hell you are doing- others won’t know any different. You will find as time goes on, you will begin to be the person you have pretending to be and absolutely smash whatever you are doing out of the park.
- Let Go Of What Others Think About You- The reality is we all care about how we are perceived by others- how we look, dress, act or behave. But do you know how much energy you can save and how much confidence you can have when you just let these things go. We are all unique and beautiful in our own ways and by avoiding caring about other’s judgements or comparing ourselves to others, we are able to create our own path of greatness and success.
- Let Go Of Your Past- I am sure you have experienced a moment in your life where you have been mistreated by somebody else who has tried to make you feel less then what you are. Well guess what- the past is in the past now. Whether it was a bully that teased you in high school, an ex boyfriend or husband that put you down constantly or a friend that always treated you like rubbish, realise that their mistreatment of you is not a perception of your downfalls, but their insecurities. Karma always has a way of getting coming around so don’t be bitter or dwell on it, just embrace yourself as the beautiful human you are today and live for your future
- Work On Areas Where You Lack Confidence- Whether it is public speaking, dating, work, in a large group of people or just socialising in general we all have situations that make us anxious or lack confidence. Consider which areas you struggle with and replay these in your mind as if you had all the confidence in the world and could master that situation like a boss. You will find over time, visualising the situation with confidence will cause you to change your behaviours and practice them accordingly when the scenario arises again.
- Practice Positive Affirmations and Uplifting Exercises- Find a good you tube video , download a podcast or record yourself saying uplifting affirmations and listen to and repeat them on a daily basis. Over time you will find that these words become beliefs built into your subconscious mind and consequently will be reflected in the form of confident and positive behaviours. I have found that even repeating these while standing in front of the mirror is a great way to incorporate them into your daily thinking! Sounds dorky but it works wonders.
And just remember ladies, you are all INCREDIBLE, BEAUTIFUL and GIFTED souls capable of mastering life in your desired fields.
I hope this helps on your journey to greatness.
Don’t be afraid!